Gurupurab marks the birth anniversary of the first of the ten Sikh Gurus- “Guru Nanak Dev Ji”. As the creator of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev Ji is worshipped in the Sikh religion. Sikhs everywhere celebrated 553rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak dev ji on 8th Nov, 2022 this year. ‘Guruparv’ is celebrated with the utmost love and devotion. Sikhism began with the foundations laid by Sri Guru Nanak Dev. Sri Guru Nanak Dev, who was born in Talwandi, Pakistan, in 1469, propagated the 'Ik Onkar' philosophy. This refers to the 'One God' who is the eternal truth and who resides within every member of creation. His basic 5 teachings are still relevant:
1. Vaand Chhako: Sharing whatever God has given you with others and helping those who are in need is what Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji preached all his life. This is one of the principles of Sikhism. He said, with the grace of the Lord, whatever you have received, share it with the needy and then consume.
2. Kirat Karo: Means, make a living honestly. One should not exploit others to enjoy self-happiness. Honestly must be inculcated in lives.
3. Naam Japo: Chant the name of 'True God'. Sri Guru Nanak Dev emphasised meditating on God's name to gain control over five evils- kama, krodh, lobh, moh, ahankar means lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego.
4. Sarbat daa bhalaa: He asks Lord for everyone's happiness. One should not only devote his life in his own growth & happiness but must devote himself for other living beings.
5. Speak the truth without any fear: Sri Guru Nanak Dev said to always speak the truth without any fear. He said, getting victory by suppressing falsehood is temporary and standing firmly by truth is permanent. Sticking to the truth is also one of the 'hukums' (orders) of the Guru.